Tuesday, December 20, 2005

feats of strength


Today we turned a corner, my family that is. And unexpectedly, I have found myself quite emotional. It is the girls' fifth birthday today. I still can't quite believe that. Anyway, to 'celebrate' I took them to McDonald's for breakfast. We rarely eat fast food because their diet is so restricted, but today I threw caution to the wind. We stopped at one on our way to take Emma Jean to Behavioral Innovations, the treatment center she's been attending for a year and that Abby attended for the year before that. The girls were delighted and gleefully discussing their food and McDonald's in general and admonishing me to learn how to make square eggs as we turned onto the street that has held our home away from home for two years now. Suddenly, it was like a slide show of the past two years began to play before my eyes and I found myself overcome with memories ranging from the first time I went to check the place out for Abby and the first time I dropped my silent terrified child off for eight hours to the immeasurable joy of her first accomplishments. Then the defeat of the beleaguerd realization that it was Emma Jean's turn. My God, we have seen so much, learned so much, accomplished so much, and overcome so much. I am proud of the girls. I am proud of my husband and the sacrifices we've made to make this day possible. Most of all I am humbled in gratitude and thanks, and wordless with indescribable joy in my Lord. I can't believe we are finished after today, really finished. There is still loads of work to be done of course and mountains to climb, but this chapter of their story is finished.

'Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,”
says the LORD, who has compassion on you.'
Isaiah 54:10

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • International Day of Prayer for Autism & Asperger's Syndrome