Wednesday, December 14, 2005

a holiday 'ha-ha' from Literal Land

'Tis the season..' or so the earth people say...Those of us who live in the parallel universe know that while yes it 'tis the season,' that statement is totally open ended. Tis the season for what? Fun? Excitememt? Hellish tantrums? Disruption? Acceptence?Pressure? Condemnation ? Repeated explanation? I will offer my first (of what will likely be one of many) example of how the holidays are celebrated differently on the spectrum....First of all, after much deliberation we decided not to mess around with the "Santa" game. Not for religious, moral, or otherwise reasons. Abby and her absolutism has governed this decision. Intrinsically, I have known that pretending Santa was real could prove problematic for Abby's tenuous peace of mind. And I was right. It really bothered her beyond reason that someone might:
A) come into our home via the chimney and
B) eat our food.
So we have taken the tact of 'Santa, etc.' is a fun game and holiday tradition that people play to celebrate Christmas. *blah, blah, blah*All was well, or so I thought until Thursday. Driving home from BI, somewhat contentedly listening to Christmas music Abby suddenly asks, "What is Santa's last name?"
"Claus," I answer merrily. (Who wouldn't?)
A freak out to match no other recently measured ensued. Unintelligible at first. All I could make out was panicked shrieking from the back seat. Finally, the source of hers, and thusly Emma Jean's ..(never one to miss out on a drama-rama) fear is unearthed:

"Santa has claws?
CLAWS?
SANTA CLAWS???!??!?!?!"

What am I supposed to do with that? She was not quieted in the least by my emphatic "No's!" She argued that this explains the gloves.
We attended the Neimen Marcus Children's Christmas Parade the following Saturday. I spent the better part of the procession pointing out all the Santa's that passed by had nice hands. I even convinced a few to wiggle their fingers in a friendly way in our direction. To date, Abby is reserving judgement. I guess I can go ahead and put "Take the girls to see Santa at North Park" in the 'We'll try it next year" column.
__________________

'I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.'~Ephesians 1:17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • International Day of Prayer for Autism & Asperger's Syndrome