Saturday, May 05, 2007

A league of their own


The girls had their first baseball game today and their team (The Red Sox) WON!

They play in a local league for kids with disabilities. It is cool because the teams are assigned based on the child's functioning level. The team the girls are on is comprised entirely of kids with HFA and AS. Each child is paired with a "buddy," a teenage volunteer who helps them learn the game and makes sure everyone on the field is safe. They have the same buddy the whole season. These "buddies" are awesome.

I was a little nervous about the league. As much as I am ashamed to admit it, I was scared the whole endeavor would look weird and sad. I just kept picturing the developmentally delayed kids in high school at P.E.

I could not have been more wrong. All the kids had a blast and other than the "buddies" on the field and in the box, the whole thing looked pretty normal. Well, as normal as things ever look when a bunch of kids with autism are together. LOL!

The other great thing is that all the parents in the stands are obviously parents of kids on the spectrum. They seem like a fun and supportive bunch.

I am so glad I fought the urge to withdraw them from the league because of my misplaced misperceptions.

All that's left for me to say is, "Thank you God!" and "Play ball!"

"My soul will boast in the LORD; let the afflicted hear and rejoice."
Psalm 34:2

2 Comments:

Blogger MOTHER OF MANY said...

Sounds fantastic

4:37:00 AM  
Blogger AshleyLeo said...

Wow. What a great organization.

8:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • International Day of Prayer for Autism & Asperger's Syndrome