Friday, June 04, 2004

scheduled some appointments...

for beans:Emma Jean is going in for a full language and speech evaluation on Monday. I am looking forward, I think, to finding out where we stand and what we need to plan to do next. The speech path who is doing the evaluation is really nice and very thorough so I am confident in whatever she determines. I am also going to contact DISD and see about getting an eval. through them so that Emma Jean's subsequent therapy needs might be covered by the schools. We are still waiting to find out if our insurance will do anything. I am not hanging my hat on that though.
We had a very limited communication screen done a few weeks ago to see if she needed further referral and that is how I know that there are issues. I know that Beans is not going to come back okay, but to what degree, I have no idea. I am most concerned about Auditory Processing issues. Her articulation is pretty good. I think we are looking more at language deficits than anything else.
It was a real blow to Jimmy and I, truthfully. I am a little afraid of what this formal evaluation will reveal, but I know we have to do it.
and for abacus:
I also made an appointment with an allergist for Abby. I think we may be ready to investigate some of the biomedical alternatives out there that might help Abby. My main interest right now is getting her to stay asleep. It is still a battle and none of us can take it for much longer. I know there are medications available, and we are not ruling them out as an eventuality, but she is so little! I want to see what we can accomplish nutritionally first, with vitamins and minerals and possibly dietary changes. Anyway, that appointment isn't until the end of July, he is so booked up! I like the sound of this doctor because a) he is an MD and b) he is the father of an autistic boy who is graduationg from college this year (how cool is that?!?). We'll see what happens.
Does anyone know much about biomedical approaches or much about food allergies?

Parenthood is so much more difficult than I could have ever imagined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • International Day of Prayer for Autism & Asperger's Syndrome