Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Postcards from Literal Land



On a recent Saturday, the summer season of the girls' baseball league ended. They had a game, then afterwards there were closing ceremonies and a picnic. All the kids received trophies. The girls were so excited. They have been itching for a shiny plastic trophy for awhile now.

While I was oohing and ahhing over their awards, I asked Abby, "We'll have to show Daddy this when we get home. What will Daddy think about your trophy?"

She replied, "That it's not breakable."

************************

Earlier that same day we were driving to BFE where their games are and as usual, I was listening to the traffic report. It is on a local talk radio/news station. I try to pay attention when the news comes on between the traffic reports because it is always full of terrible stuff and I don't want the girls to hear it. I guess I spaced out though because suddenly the girls were in hysterics in the back seat. In the course of trying to calm them down and get to the bottom of why they were freaking out, I asked them what in the world had gotten them so worked up.

Abby tearfully and with trembling, "I am scared! I don't want fire arms!! I don't want fire arms!! Mommy what happens for someone to get fire arms??!?" She was frantically waving her arms out in front of her.

At first I couldn't imagine what the heck she was talking about, then it hit me. I realized that I had not turned down the news and they had done a report about some criminals that had been apprehended who had firearms.

And thusly, an impromptu gun safety lesson was had in the van on the way to baseball.

Never a dull moment. What I wouldn't give for a dull moment.

He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy.
Job 8:21

2 Comments:

Blogger AshleyLeo said...

Incredible about the 'fire arms', and the trophy. Wow! I hope your summer is going well...Ashely

7:17:00 PM  
Blogger supposedly susan said...

Thank you.

It is!

We traveled by air for the first time ever and it went so well.

YAY!

And y'all's summer?

1:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • International Day of Prayer for Autism & Asperger's Syndrome