Thursday, February 09, 2006

my new hero

Dorothy L. Sayers

In the world it is called Tolerance, but in hell it is called Despair, the sin that believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing, interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing, and remains alive because there is nothing for which it will die.

Amen.

As part of the application process for the school we hope for the girls to attend next year, they ask the parents to read an essay (that was originally a speech) by Dorothy L. Sayers called "The Lost Tools of Learning." The piece outlines the school's fundamental approach to teaching and it is just incredible. It was written in 1947 and has not lost an ounce of relevance. In fact, I think her message is more urgent than ever before. I won't reprint it here, but this link will take you to a transcript.
One thing I am convinced of, if the girls are not accepted or we cannot find a way to pay for tuition, I will use a curriculum that is based upon the tenants outlined by Mrs. Sayers and by Charlotte Mason and teach them myself, find a cooperative for social skills building opportunities. I cannot believe I am even thinking about homeschooling, but given what's out there, if this school doesn't work out, it may be the only thing we can do.
Anyway, check out her essay if you are so inclined. It is fascinating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • International Day of Prayer for Autism & Asperger's Syndrome