Friday, August 03, 2007

Isn't it ironic


I recently posted that my girls now "know" that they have autism. I say "know" because while they understand that the word applies to them, they do not know what it really means.

Today, we were leaving Super Target and I heard Emma Jean singing to herself, though rather loudly. I asked her for an encore and she obliged singing:

"I love my autism.
I love my autism.
I am superb at remembering facts, but making friends is so abstract.
I love my autism."


This was sung to the tune of a bible song called, "What an Awesome God We Serve."

LOL!

Later, they were sitting at the dinner table of a friend's house when Abby abruptly asked for a show of hands of everyone who had autism. My friend has one son on the spectrum and one daughter who is NT. The NT daughter kept insisting that she was autistic. She just couldn't stand being left out.

I fear our little discussions as of late may have unintentionally created autism elitists.

Hee-hee...

After an all-night march from Gilgal, Joshua took them by surprise.
Joshua 10:9

5 Comments:

Blogger AshleyLeo said...

Three cheers for elitists! ha ha

I'm sure my NT daughter will be singing that tune at some point with our colorful family. We are filled with ASDs, LDs, Down Syndrome, and adoptees. Too funny!

I also think it's terrific how creatively she made up her song.

Also, did you read yesterday's NYT about girls with autism? I'll email you the article just in case....

1:16:00 PM  
Blogger supposedly susan said...

I did read the article! What a gem. An in depth piece about girls with HFA/AS. I tell other mom's I meet with girls on the spectrum, "I own every piece of literature ever published about girls with autism!

I have all six books."

LOL.

But it is the truth.

I saw a lot of my girls in that article. Textbook as far as the early years. The grim-ish prognosis for the later years made me a little bit sad.

As always, it is good to hear from Ashley.

Hope y'all's summer has been a good one.

~s

8:52:00 PM  
Blogger AshleyLeo said...

Only 6 books? Incredible. I sent the article to Kim Stagliano, a mother of 3 girls on the spectrum (a hat trick as she likes to say). She's also a writer, so I hope she'll comment on it. Kim Stagliano.blogspot.com

Your summer sounds like it's going well!

5:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the song. I hope your summer has gone well.

9:08:00 AM  
Blogger Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Hi - Kim, here. I'm sorry, I don't recall the article. Could you send it again please? kimstagliano@gmail.com Thanks!

9:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • International Day of Prayer for Autism & Asperger's Syndrome