Wednesday, March 01, 2006

and now.....we wait



Thanks for all of your support and prayers.
It's over.
I know that ya'll's commitment to our family had a great deal to do with the way things went tonight, especially my state of mind.
They arrived promptly at 6 pm and we were busy up to that last minute. We had to get the girls fed and then changed into something cute and clean before they got there and then there was me who needed to totally redo myself after cleaning around all day. They were very complimentary of the house (and it did look really cozy and inviting if I do say so myself) and neighborhood. The girls were just themselves, although Abby was pretty wound up and did some spinning at the end, she does that to unwind sometimes (seems counter productive, but it works for her). They were polite, used good manners, responded well to any correction and were very nice little hostesses.
In true Abby fashion, despite not really knowing why this visit was important, she honed in on who the important player was. When we opened the door to our guests, she looked at the two ladies, politely said her hellos and then as if by sonar, promptly turned her attentions to the Lower School Director. She said, "Hi. My name is Abby. What's your name?" The director replied in kind and Abby responded by telling her, "It's nice to meet you. You look very pretty tonight."
Can you believe it?
Later, the girls did some coloring, etc. while the adults visited and she made the same lady a heart shaped card with glitter no less. Jimmy and I got a good laugh about that after they had left. Leave it to Abby to economize her limited attention so effectively.
The other the interviewer was very appreciative of our forthcomingness about their journey. It was another affirmation that we had made the right decision to fully disclose. "All glory be to God," were her precise words.
AMEN!
One totally unexpected and cool thing that came out of all this was that even though I have felt alone in the trenches so much of the time throughout the last almost three years, I realized tonight what a blessing it actually was that Jimmy was not consumed by the whole remediation process like I was. He has a different and positive perspective on the girls that I am just now learning to cultivate. Unlike most parents who see all the good things their kids do and find delight in their funny little quirks, I have been trained to look for the deficits and the trouble spots and I am figuring out as we enter the world of the "earth people" that I need to not lose sight of their coolness and strengths in the midst of helping them. I don't know if that makes sense, but Jimmy's perspective on them and our family is really neat and tonight was just one of those nights that I am very proud to be married to him. He is a good daddy and husband.
All in all, I think it was a success. No matter the outcome, I was proud of our family tonight.
The director of the Lower School told me that the decision will be made on all fall admissions on March 1 and letters go out Friday.
Stay tuned.
Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm.
Nothing is too hard for you.
Jeremiah 32:17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • International Day of Prayer for Autism & Asperger's Syndrome